Saturday, October 1, 2011

The pumpkins are coming! The pumpkins are coming!

Good Evening Everybody!

My post today is kind of a mix of yesterday and today. We spent our free time making fabric pumpkins. Gracie and I spent Monday raking through the garage for out fall decorations and we came up with an interesting fact. I don't have any fall decorations! I have Halloween decorations but only one little brown felted fabric pumpkin.



See.  He doesn't look too impressive sitting there next to Gilbert the Mummy.  As you come to get to know us you will learn that Gracie has to name everything, it's just something she loves to do.  Anyway, my lack of festive fall decor was eating at me and on a budget, making something was the way to go.  I scoured the web and found this lovely tutorial on how to make fabric pumpkins, it was fun at first sight!  I found the tutorial on a blog by Danielle Thompson and here is the link to her Fabric Pumpkin Tutorial.
http://thompsonfamily.typepad.com/thompson_familylife/2009/11/fabric-pumpkin-tutorial.html

Gracie and I dug out our fall fabric scraps, bought some new fabric and hunted around the backyard for the small branches and twigs.  Gracie with her super positive pumpkin crafting attitude and me armed with my trusty glue gun, we came up with this...

Gracie was in charge of putting the stems in place.  She was a very proud little miss!

We made as many as we could with all the fabric we had and I am almost tempted to dig for some more.  In the end we wound up with our very own fabric pumpkin patch!  I think I have some sage green corduroy stashed away and I would love to see how that would look.  I am also curious to see how big we could actually make one.


Now I am going to have to lure them away from her so I can decorate with them.  Chances are I will find them all in her bed at bedtime tonight.

After our really fun pumpkin making fever we went on to bigger things, and I mean bigger.  Get a load of this sucker!
17" inches long and it probably weighed about 4-5 lbs.




Friends, meet dinner!  Dinner, meet friends!  This was our dinner plan tonight, a 17" long zucchini.  This was given to me by my good friend Dorie from work, she has the most talented green thumb I have ever seen.  I've seen her coax a Dalia grow bigger than Gracie's head!  She gave me this when after she had learned that we love zucchini.  She thought we could do something great with it, and we did!  We hollowed it out and stuffed it with sausage, cheese, breadcrumbs, mushrooms, onion, and red bell pepper.  The outcome, very Delicious!

370 degrees and 45 minutes later, it was supper time!  While it was baking it gave me some time to put my Halloween decorations up and ponder over the thought whether or not I needed to make some Halloween fabric pumpkins.  I think the decision was yes!  So another charming day and cheers to a full belly!

Good Night!

3 comments:

  1. These pumpkins are great and the girls are so cute. I think that may be the biggest zucchini I have every seen. I like to slice mine thick crossways paint on some olive oil and put them on the grill. Yours looks really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Elayne...great start and now you have a blog home..yeahhhhh love your wee buglet sweetie...and those pumpkins almost as cute as her...ps. what is your fav color?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always been fond of blues and greens. The Doctors told my Mother she was having a boy so of course my room was blue when I was born. I guess it kind of grew on me. I've always been attracted to blues, aquas, and greens.

    ReplyDelete