Friday, June 28, 2013

A new baby quilt

Over the course of the last year I have really fallen in love with the art of quilting.  I have tried to perfect my free motion quilting, getting my seams to match up perfectly, ironing with out steam , etc, etc, the list goes on and on.  I have also collected copious amounts of fabric over time that I am literally out of room for storage. I know I am not the only one who can count 12+ tote bins stacked beautifully so I can see what you've got at all times.  A fabric stash is usually sorted to ones favorite method, for me it's by style, season, and then color.  I know what I have at all times and where to locate it if I need it.

So the reason for all this is the simple fact that I need to start using it.  Sure I have been using some, but it's just so easy to buy new when it's freshly released from the quilt store!  I've made many quilts over the last year but now I have decided to let some of it go for someone else to enjoy.  This week I made a baby quilt.  I haven't done one of those in a while and I thought it would be a great start.  I have always wanted to make a chevron quilt but when it comes to a pattern and fabric, you have to find the right ones!  I recently acquired a mystery bundle containing Riley Blake's Willow collection that I thought would be perfect for the job as a baby quilt.  The collection is some pale pinks, yellows, grays, and aquas.  Like I mentioned previously I have been trying to perfect my seams so I did not take the triangle rout, I followed the tutorial provided by Crazy Mom Quilt!  Her blog and tutorial can be found here, http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2009/03/all-zipped-up.html.  She has a wonderful method to making a zig zag quilt using strips of fabric cut into squares and then arranged to make a zig zag.  Nice and easy and my seams matched up beautifully.  Now unfortunately I don't have any babies on the way for myself nor in my vicinity so I have decided to put this one up for sale in my Etsy shop.  I've always sold children's boutique clothing so this is something new for me.  But I think this is one of my best quilts yet, I love the clean lines and colors.





See!  Very pretty!  I had a lot of fun sewing this quilt and I can't wait to start on the next!  I also just got a new sewing machine for my birthday and I think that helped in the motivation department too!  Tomorrow I will show you all what I have made to wear on the 4th of July, it will give you a good laugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment